The fifth annual Minnesota American Legion Photo Calendar Contest is now underway. Again this year, the
contest will call for photographs that veterans shot while they were in the service. Entries will be due by July 1, and the 12 winners will have their photo printed in the annual state Legion
calendar. There will also be cash prizes for the photos judged to be the top three winners. Top prize will be $250, second prize will be $150 and third prize will be $100. The winning photograph
will be on the cover of the calendar.
There is no restriction on the type of photo that is submitted. It can be a group shot, a scenery shot, a view
of everyday life, or even an action/combat photo. Entrants can submit up to three photos. Please do not send originals. Scan or reprint the photos before submitting. Photos will not be returned.
Resolution on photos submitted electronically should be at least 200 dpi.
Here are the rules:
1. All photos must have been taken while the veteran was serving in the Armed Forces. Family members can
submit photos from an immediate family member, as long as the person submitting is a current member of the Legion, Auxiliary or Sons of the American Legion. For instance, a Legion Family member
can submit a photo taken by a grandfather in World War I.
2. Photos may be entered by mailing them to the Department: Room 300A, 20 West 12th Street, St. Paul, MN
55155. Or emailing to email@example.com. Again, do not send original photographs. Photos will not be returned. Please mark the outside of the envelope or the subject line as "Photo Contest."
3. Entries will be judged not only on the unique quality and interest in the photo, but also by its technical
4. All entries must be postmarked by June 30, 2013, or have been emailed by July 1, 2013.
5. All photos must be original and copyright free and be available to be printed in the calendar without legal
6. All entries must contain as much relevant data as possible, such as who, what, where and when. If there's a
story that goes with the photo, please send it along.
7. Photographs may be from any war era.
8. The limit per person is three photographs.
9. Those submitting must include their name, which Legion organization they belong to, their Legion, Auxiliary
or SAL ID number, their address, and their contact information including phone or email.
10. The person who took the photo should be identified by name, rank, unit, and any other information that is
Any questions, please call Al Zdon at 651-291-1800 or 1-866-259-9163. Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.