Nurses Training Grant
View Nurses Training Grant Cover Letter in PDF format
Download the application
The Minnesota American Legion Nurses Training Grant Program is established to assist those engaged in the medical profession at selected VeteransMedicalCenters or Minnesota Veterans' Homes to upgrade and improve their qualifications through pursuit of further education in the medical field. Pursuit of this education may be at any recognized school of instruction in the medical field.
Use of this grant shall be limited to advancement within the medical profession, through pursuit of an approved course of study in the nursing field.
All applications must stem from recommendation by the head of nursing services or the equivalent of the facility at which the applicant is employed and said facilities are limited to those listed herein.
Grants shall be submitted from the Veterans Affairs Medical Centers or Minnesota Veterans' Homes listed, or other state-funded nursing facilities which may be approved in the future.
a) MINNEAPOLIS VETERANS MEDICAL CENTER
b) FARGO VETERANS MEDICAL CENTER
c) SIOUX FALLS VETERANS MEDICAL CENTER
d) ST. CLOUD VETERANS MEDICAL CENTER
e) MINNESOTA VETERANS HOME - MINNEAPOLIS
f) MINNESOTA VETERANS HOME - HASTINGS
g) MINNESOTA VETERANS HOME - SILVER BAY
h) MINNESOTA VETERANS HOME - LUVERNE
i) MINNESOTA VETERANS HOME - FERGUS FALLS
Assistance shall be in the form of a grant and is limited to $2,500.00 per year, per recipient; however, an individual may be considered for a second grant in a succeeding year. The recipient shall agree that he/she will remain at the facility where he/she is employed, for a period of not less than 24 months following completion of the training for which he/she has received said grant.
1) Must presently be employed in the medical profession at one of the medical institutions listed above and have held that employment for at least two years.
2) Applicants must agree in writing to continue their employment at their present medical institution or at least 24 months following completion of the training period for which they have received a grant.
3) All applications must be accompanied by a letter of recommendation from the Head of Nursing Services or the equivalent of the facility at which the applicant is employed.
4) While need is not a priority, it may be considered in making the application. Letters with additional information supplied by applicant are suggested.
5) Final selection shall be made by The American Legion's Scholarship Selection Committee, with a representative of the Rehabilitation Committee included.
6) Grants will be awarded during the month of May on that day designated as "Nurses Recognition Day."
Application forms for the Grants may be obtained from the Education Scholarship Committee or from the Head of Nursing or equivalent, at the facility where the applicant is employed.:
DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT SHALL BE APRIL 1 EACH YEAR.
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE APPROVED AND RECOMMENDED BY A POST OF THE AMERICAN LEGION.
Please send completed applications to
The American Legion
20 West 12th Street, Room 300A,
St. Paul, MN 55155.
If you have any questions, please call 651-291-1800 or toll free at 866-259-9163 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Information and forms are available through the above links. Additional information can be obtained by emailing Jennifer Kelley at email@example.com or calling (651) 291-1800.